Practical Autodesk AutoCAD 2021 and AutoCAD LT 2021: A no-nonsense, beginner's guide to drafting and 3D modeling with Autodesk AutoCAD
Yasser Shoukry , Jaiprakash Pandey
Learn 2D drawing and 3D modeling from scratch using AutoCAD 2021 and its more affordable LT version to become a CAD professional
- Explore the AutoCAD GUI, file format, and drawing tools to get started with CAD projects
- Learn to use drawing management tools for working efficiently on large projects
- Discover techniques for creating, modifying, and managing 3D models and converting 2D plans into 3D models
AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT are one of the most versatile software applications for architectural and engineering designs and the most popular computer-aided design (CAD) platform for 2D drafting and 3D modeling. This hands-on guide will take you through everything you need to know to make the most out of this powerful tool, starting from a simple tour of the user interface through to using advanced tools.
Starting with basic drawing shapes and functions, you'll get to grips with the fundamentals of CAD designs. You'll then learn about effective drawing management using layers, dynamic blocks, and groups and discover how to add annotations and plot like professionals. The book delves into 3D modeling and helps you convert your 2D drawings into 3D models and shapes. As you progress, you'll cover advanced tools and features such as isometric drawings, drawing utilities for managing and recovering complex files, quantity surveying, and multidisciplinary drawing files using xRefs, and you'll learn how to implement them with the help of practical exercises at the end of each chapter. Finally, you'll get to grips with rendering and visualizing your designs in AutoCAD.
By the end of the book, you'll have developed a solid understanding of CAD principles and be able to work with AutoCAD software confidently to build impressive 2D and 3D drawings.
What you will learn
- Understand CAD fundamentals using AutoCAD's basic functions, navigation, and components
- Create complex 3d solid objects starting from the primitive shapes using the solid editing tools
- Working with reusable objects like Blocks and collaborating using xRef
- Explore some advanced features like external references and dynamic block
- Get to grips with surface and mesh modeling tools such as Fillet, Trim, and Extend
- Use the paper space layout in AutoCAD for creating professional plots for 2D and 3D models
- Convert your 2D drawings into 3D models
Who this book is for
The book is for design engineers, mechanical engineers, architects, and anyone working in construction, manufacturing, or similar fields. Whether you're an absolute beginner, student, or professional looking to upgrade your engineering design skills, you'll find this AutoCAD book useful. No prior knowledge of CAD or AutoCAD is necessary.
Yasser Shoukry is an engineering professional with a master's degree in mechanical engineering. He lives in Egypt and has more than 10 years of experience in different fields. He has worked in the construction industry as an MEP engineer, participated as a CFD technical analyst in automotive R&D and building smoke management projects, and worked on 3D modeling projects for oil and gas companies. The countless hours of drafting and modeling spent on all of these projects have given him extensive knowledge and experience in using AutoCAD. Moreover, he has great experience in AutoCAD training as he has successfully published training courses for AutoCAD on different online learning platforms.
Jaiprakash Pandey is a certified Autodesk AutoCAD professional and a member of the Autodesk Expert Elite community. He has worked in the design, manufacturing, and training industries and primarily delivers training to corporate clients. He has extensive experience in delivering CAD training to clients from Fortune 500 companies, design consulting firms, government organizations, and the military. Jaiprakash lives in India and has also created online courses and CAD training material for colleges and online portals. His articles have appeared in many CADand engineering-related publications.
- An Introduction to AutoCAD
- Basic Drawing Tools
- Learning about Modify Commands
- Working with Arrays and Reusable Objects
- Managing Drawings with Layers and Properties
- Working with Hatches, Text, and Dimensions
- Tables, Isometric, and Parametric Drawings
- Customization Tools
- External References and Dynamic Blocks
- Introduction to 3D Modeling
- Creating Primitive 3D Shapes
- Conversion between 2D and 3D
- Modifying 3D Objects
- Surfaces and Mesh Modeling
- Paper Space Layouts and Printing
- Rendering and Presentation