Computer Science: An Overview, 13/e (IE-Paperback)
Glenn Brookshear , Dennis Brylow
· New full-color design:
o Many figures and diagrams are now rendered more descriptively.
o Syntax coloring is now used to better effect for clarifying code and pseudocode segments in the text.
o Reflects the use of color in most modern programming interfaces to aid the programmer’s understanding of code.
· Revisions, updates, and corrections from the previous editions in each chapter.
· Intersections with the new College Board Advanced Placement® Computer Science Principles (“CSP”) exam
· This text follows a bottom-up arrangement of subjects that progresses from the concrete to the abstract—an order that results in a sound pedagogical presentation in which each topic leads to the next.
o Although the text follows this natural progression, the individual chapters and sections are independent and can usually be read as isolated units or rearranged to form alternative sequences of study.
· Ethical and legal aspects of areas such as Internet security, software engineering, and database technology bring to light what students should know to be safe and responsible users of technology.
· Uses Python code examples and Python-like pseudocode, due to its wide acceptance in other STEM fields, such as physics and biology, and as the language of choice for computational science applications.
· Each chapter includes a collection of questions called Social Issues that challenge students to think about the relationship between the material in the text and the society in which they live.
1. Data Storage
2. Data Manipulation
3. Operating Systems
4. Networking and the Internet
6. Programming Languages
7. Software Engineering
8. Data Abstractions
9. Database Systems
10. Computer Graphics
11. Artificial Intelligence
12. Theory of Computation
B. Circuits to Manipulate Two’s Complement Representations
C. Vole: A Simple Machine Language
D. High-Level Programming Languages
E. The Equivalence of Iterative and Recursive Structures
F. Answers to Questions & Exercises