Common OpenStack Deployments: Real-World Examples for Systems Administrators and Engineers
Elizabeth K. Joseph, Matthew Fischer
OpenStack is today’s leading technology for building and integrating public and private clouds. Common OpenStack Deployments is a complete, practical guide to deploying OpenStack and understanding its internals. Key project contributor Elizabeth Joseph, with expert implementer Matt Fischer, shares up-to-date recipes for deploying OpenStack on both virtual and physical servers, and for using OpenStack to address any real-world challenge.
First, Joseph and Fischer help you master OpenStack concepts and components by guiding you through small-scale, virtualized deployments. As you deepen your understanding, they guide you through building large, horizontally scalable infrastructures that integrate multiple components in a feature-rich cloud environment. Throughout, you’ll find up-to-the minute coverage of enhancements that make the OpenStack platform more mature and production ready, plus expert tips on debugging and growth.
The authors conclude by introducing the broader OpenStack ecosystem, showing you how to drive value through hybrid clouds blending local and hosted solutions. Drawing on extensive personal experience, they address issues ranging from cost to data sovereignty and security.
Common OpenStack Deployments is the ideal resource for all network and data center professionals who want to apply OpenStack in proof-of-concept or in production, and for every instructor or student who wants to leverage today’s hottest cloud technology.
Comprehensive coverage includes
- Customizing, deploying, and scaling OpenStack in any environment
- Quickly building single-server test deployments with DevStack
- Making the right networking decisions for any OpenStack deployment
- Manually installing Nova compute, Keystone identity, Glance image storage, and Neutron networking
- Setting up controllers and compute nodes
- Deploying private compute clouds with Puppet
- Metering clouds with Ceilometer
- Implementing block and object storage clouds
- Provisioning on bare metal with OpenStack Ironic
- Controlling containers with OpenStack Magnum
- Troubleshooting OpenStack: error messages, logs, tools, configuration problems, Puppet debugging, and more
- Step-by-step virtualized reference deployment using KVM/QEMU on Ubuntu