Includes Coverage of Oracle and Microsoft SQL Implementations
In just 24 lessons of one hour or less, SQL in 24 Hours, Sams Teach Yourself, Seventh Edition, helps you use SQL to build effective databases, efficiently retrieve data, and manage everything from performance to security.
The straightforward, step-by-step approach shows you how to work with database structures, objects, queries, tables, and more. In just hours, you will be applying advanced techniques, including views, transactions, web connections, and powerful Oracle and SQL Server extensions. Every lesson builds on what you've already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success.
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common SQL tasks.
Practical, hands-on examples show you how to apply what you learn.
Quizzes and exercises help you test your knowledge and stretch your skills.
Notes and tips point out shortcuts and solutions.
Learn how to...
- Define efficient database structures and objects
- "Normalize" raw databases into logically organized tables
- Edit relational data and tables with DML
- Manage transactions
- Write effective, well-performing queries
- Categorize, summarize, sort, group, and restructure data
- Work with dates and times
- Join tables in queries, use subqueries, and combine multiple queries
- Master powerful query optimization techniques
- Administer databases and manage users
- Secure databases and protect data
- Use views, synonyms, and the system catalog
- Extend SQL to the enterprise and Internet
- Master important Oracle and Microsoft extensions to ANSI SQL
Register your product at informit.com/register for convenient access to downloads, updates, and corrections as they become available.
Ryan Stephens is an entrepreneur who has built his career and multiple IT companies around SQL, data, and relational databases. He has shared his knowledge and experience with organizations, students, and IT professionals all over the world. Two of the companies he has co-founded, Perpetual Technologies, Inc. (PTI), and Indy Data Partners, have provided expert database and IT services to large-scale government and commercial clients for more than 25 years. Ryan has authored several books for Pearson, including Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 24 Hours, 6th Edition; some of his books have been translated and published internationally. Additionally, Ryan has worked for large organizations and has consulted within the areas of SQL, database design, database management, and project management. He designed and taught a database management program for Indiana University-Purdue University in Indianapolis and currently teaches online SQL and database classes for Pearson Education.