A step-by-step guide to backing up and restoring your database using safe, efficient, and proven recipes
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Back up and restore PostgreSQL databases
- Use built-in tools to create simple backups
- Restore the easy way with internal commands
- Cut backup and restore time with advanced techniques
Backing up a database is something that all system admins must eventually face. Larger warehouses and critical enterprise data requires advanced techniques and tools to handle this complex data. PostgreSQL provides you with the basic tools for accomplishing this complex task.
"Instant PostgreSQL Backup and Restore How-to" is a practical series of proven recipes showing you how to preserve critical business data, and also teach you some advanced methods for restoring this data. It is a perfect manual for managing your critical PostgreSQL data.
Instant PostgreSQL Backup and Restore How-to is your practical guide to the unique features that PostgreSQL offers to create quick backups and efficient restores.
Starting by backing up a simplistic database and learning how-to restore it to working order, we then move on to more complex backup techniques including creating and restoring binary backups.
Covering advanced topics such as Warm and Hot standby restore and Streaming replication, Instant PostgreSQL Backup and Restore How-to gives you the power to make complete backups to guarantee you will always be able to restore your database to full working order!
What you will learn from this book
- Target specific data with partial dump and restore
- Explore SQL-only techniques for smaller databases
- Drastically reduce restore time using Parallel SQL
- Create easy binary backups and clones with built-in tools
- Slash backup times with parallel compression
- Harness file system snapshots for stable online binary backups
- Synchronize multiple databases as standby backup servers
Filled with practical, step-by-step instructions and clear explanations for the most important and useful tasks. This hands-on guide provides a quick and easy way to back up and restore your database using PostgreSQL.
Who this book is written for
Written for database administrators who want to create backups of their critical enterprise data and efficiently restore it using PostgreSQL.