- Create and program home automation projects using the Raspberry Pi Zero board
- Connect your Raspberry Pi Zero to a cloud API, and then build a cloud dashboard to control your devices
- Integrate all the projects into a complex project to automate key aspects of your home: data monitoring, devices control, and security
The release of the Raspberry Pi Zero has completely amazed the tech community. With the price, form factor, and being high on utility the Raspberry Pi Zero is the perfect companion to support home automation projects and makes IoT even more accessible.
With this book, you will be able to create and program home automation projects using the Raspberry Pi Zero board. The book will teach you how to build a thermostat that will automatically regulate the temperature in your home. Another important topic in home automation is controlling electrical appliances, and you will learn how to control LED Lights, lamps, and other electrical applications.
Moving on, we will build a smart energy meter that can measure the power of the appliance, and you'll learn how to switch it on and off. You'll also see how to build simple security system, composed of alarms, a security camera, and motion detectors. At the end, you will integrate everything what you learned so far into a more complex project to automate the key aspects of your home.
By the end, you will have deepened your knowledge of the Raspberry Pi Zero, and will know how to build autonomous home automation projects.
What you will learn
- Learn how to measure and store data using the Raspberry Pi Zero board
- Control LED lights, lamps, and other electrical applications
- Send automated notifications by e-mail, SMS, or push notifications
- Connect motion detectors, cameras, and alarms
- Create automated alerts using Raspberry Pi Zero boards
- Control devices using cloud-based services
- Build a complete home automation system using Pi Zero
About the Author
Marco Schwartz is an electrical engineer, entrepreneur, and blogger. He has a master's degree in electrical engineering and computer science from Supelec, France, and a master's degree in micro engineering from the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland.
He has more than five years of experience working in the domain of electrical engineering. Marco's interests gravitate around electronics, home automation, the Arduino and Raspberry Pi platforms, open source hardware projects, and 3D printing.
He has several websites about Arduino, including the Open Home Automation website, which is dedicated to building home automation systems using open source hardware.
Marco has written another book on home automation and Arduino, called Home Automation With Arduino: Automate Your Home Using Open-source Hardware. He has also written a book on how to build Internet of Things projects with Arduino, called Internet of Things with the Arduino Yun, by Packt Publishing.
Table of Contents
- Configuring Your Raspberry Pi Zero Board
- Measure Data Using Your Raspberry Pi Zero Board
- Building a Smart Home Thermostat
- Controlling Appliances from the Raspberry Pi Zero
- Making a Smart Plug with the Raspberry Pi Zero
- Sending Notifications using Raspberry Pi Zero
- Use the Raspberry Pi Zero to Build a Security System
- Monitor Your Home from the Cloud
- Control Appliances from Anywhere
- Building a Home Automation System with Raspberry Pi Zero Boards