Game Design Deep Dive: Platformers
The Game Design Dive series examines a specific game system or mechanic over the course of the history of the industry. For this book, it will examine the history of jumping - one of the oldest mechanics in the industry, and how it has evolved and changed over the years. We will look at the transition from 2D to 3D, and multiple elements that make jumping more complicated than it looks from a design perspective.
Key Selling Points:
- The he first in a series of books that focus entirely on a singular game design system or mechanic, in this case: jumping.
- A perfect read for anyone interested in understanding game design, or just curious from a historical standpoint.
- A must read for anyone interested in building their own platformer or someone just interested in the history of the Game Industry's most famous game mechanic.
- This book is a perfect companion for someone building their first game or as part of a game design classroom.
- Includes real game examples to highlight the discussed topics and mechanics
Joshua Bycer is a Game Design Critic with more than 7 years of experience critically analyzing game design and the industry itself. In that time through Game-Wisdom, he has interviewed hundreds of game developers and members of the industry about what it means to design video games.