Rust Programming By Example
Guillaume Gomez, Antoni Boucher
- Implement various features of Rust to build blazingly fast applications
- Learn to build GUI applications with using Gtk-rs
- Explore multi-threading aspect to tackle the problems in concurrency and in distributed environments.
Rust is an open source, safe, concurrent, practical language created by Mozilla. It runs blazingly fast, prevents segfaults, and guarantees safety. This book gets you started with essential software development by guiding you through the different aspects of Rust programming. With this approach, you can bridge the gap between learning and implementing immediately.
Beginning with an introduction to Rust, you'll learn the basic aspects like it's syntax, data types, functions, generics, control flows etc. after which you will directly jump straight onto building your first project which is Tetris game. Then you will be taken through building of graphical music player and fast and reliable networking software using tokio, the scalable and productive asynchronous IO Rust library . Over the course of this book, you will learn various features of Rust Programming like it's SDL features, Event loop, File I/O, famous GTK+ widget toolkit. Through these projects, you'll understand how well Rust performs in terms of concurrency - parallelism, reliability, Improved performance, generics, macros, and working with thread safety. we'll also cover some asynchronous and reactive programming aspects of Rust
By the end of the book, you will be comfortable in building various real-world applications in Rust.
What you will learn
- Compile and run the Rust projects using Cargo- Rust Package manager
- Use Rust- SDL features like Event loop, windows, Infinite loops, pattern matching and so on
- Create graphical interface using Gtk-rs and Rust- SDL
- Incorporate concurrency mechanism and multi- threading along with thread safety and locks
- Implement FTP protocol using Asynchronous IO stack with Tokio library