Designing Immersive 3D Experiences: A Designer's Guide to Creating Realistic 3D Experiences for Extended Reality
A Designer's Guide to Creating Realistic 3D Experiences For Extended Reality
Designing Immersive 3D Experiences helps visual designers move into the fast-growing fields of 3D and extended reality (XR) design. Author Renée Stevens (Powered by Design) introduces a proven approach and an effective design-thinking process you can use to create successful immersive user experiences. The book is grounded in familiar design principles and explores how you can build on these foundations, adapting them for virtual and augmented reality environments. Designing Immersive 3D Experiences prepares visual designers to succeed with 3D and XR design in multiple environments, from mobile, to web, to wearables.
This book begins by exploring the basics of XR and 3D immersive design, how they are evolving, and how you may already be using them. It then moves into core concepts and technologies, from computer-human interaction, to spatial computing, to projection mapping and head-mounted displays.
Learn how to:
- Adapt ideation strategies for new XR and 3D projects while incorporating design-thinking strategies, balancing innovation with practicality, and keeping it all human
- Build seamless, multi-modal, and accessible user experiences and interfaces in three dimensions
- Harness the power of visual perception and ways to activate the senses using XR technology
- Augment typography and create hierarchy in physical spaces that are dynamic and uncontrollable
- Enhance the user experience using spatial audio and voice
- Explore next steps in the industry and consider the ethical implications that come with advancement
Renée Stevens is an interactive and immersive designer, educator, author, and speaker. Her creative work focuses on innovative ways that design can help overcome learning disabilities and create more accessible and inclusive learning environments. She is the founder of the XR tech startup, tagAR. For more than a decade she has run her own interactive design studio consulting and designing on XR projects and working as a motion designer for Forbes. You can find her teaching at the S. I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University, where she is the Associate Chair of the Visual Communications Department, overseeing the undergraduate and graduate design programs. She was named an Educator to Watch by Graphic Design USA (GDUSA). She has been invited around the world to speak about her research and design work in XR, including TEDx, SXSW, Sundance, VR/AR Association, and AIGA. She is the author of the book Powered by Design. She lives in New York with her husband and two children who keep her creating every day.
You can learn more at www.reneestevens.design.