Provide a concise, approachable introduction to the principles of economics that can be taught in one semester while allowing all types of students to quickly grasp essential economic concepts for a strong foundation with Mankiw’s popular ESSENTIALS OF ECONOMICS, 9E. Part of the most widely-used series in economics classrooms worldwide, this edition covers only the most important principles to avoid overwhelming students with excessive detail. Extensive updates, relevant examples and carefully crafted content written by leading economics author Gregory Mankiw work seamlessly with the latest MindTap digital course solutions and powerful student-focused resources. A team of award-winning teaching economists have further strengthened this edition's industry-leading ancillary package with even more relevance, engagement and interactive learning opportunities in addition to features such as the highly acclaimed Graph Builder and enhanced Adaptive Test Prep. Trust ESSENTIALS OF ECONOMICS, 9E to help your students master key principles of economics today.
- What's New
- NUMEROUS NEW AND UPDATED "IN THE NEWS," "FYI," AND "CASE STUDY" BOXED FEATURES HIGHLIGHT RECENT AND SIGNIFICANT ECONOMIC EVENTS. You and your students stay up to date on the today’s economic changes and developments as these features highlight events that have made headlines. Engaging explanations detail the significant of these developments on economic decisions today.
- EXTENSIVELY UPDATED COVERAGE OF RELEVANT, CURRENT ECONOMIC TOPICS ADDRESSES THE LATEST DEVELOPING ISSUES. Numerous chapters reflect the latest essential developments in economics today. The most comprehensive updates include coverage of measuring a nation’s income (Ch. 15), measuring the cost of living (Ch. 16), production and growth (Ch. 17), and unemployment and its natural rate (Ch. 20).
- MINDTAP ONLINE RESOURCES PROVIDE THE MOST ADVANCED DIGITAL COURSE SOLUTION IN EDUCATIONAL PUBLISHING TODAY. Powerful student-focused resources within MindTap respond to the individualized needs of introductory economics students with a prescribed learning path, graph building tools, engaging multimedia resources and test preparation tools. MindTap gives you, the instructor, the flexibility to create the concise economics course you want using either publisher-provided material, your own material or third-party materials.
- "EXPLORE MINDTAP FOR MANKIW 9E: A VIDEO TUTORIAL" SHOWS STUDENTS HOW TO UTILIZE MINDTAP MOST EFFECTIVELY. This short video-based exercise is assignable and the perfect primer to maximize each student’s effectiveness in using MindTap starting on the first day of class. This video tutorial supports your students with a quick understanding of the multitude of student-focus resources available to them in this edition. The video efficiently highlights the advantages of MindTap, including the interactive eReader, StudyHub, Adaptive Test Prep, and Graph Builder.
- GRAPH BUILDER ALLOWS STUDENTS TO MOVE STEP-BY-STEP THROUGH COMPLEX GRAPHICAL FIGURES. Designed specifically for introductory economics students, Graph Builder interactive exercises in MindTap help your students first understand complex graphs by decomposing a graph into finite steps that build upon one another, then practice graphing by drawing out a similar scenario from scratch. This drawing method supports the kinesthetic learning approach valued by instructors, like you -- all within the context of the interactive eBook.
- UPDATED BEST-SELLING ONLINE HOMEWORK SOLUTION -- APLIA IN MINDTAP -- NOW OFFERS MORE. The 9th Edition Aplia question sets are completely redesigned to more closely aligned to this edition’s Problems and Application questions at the end of each chapter. Updated Aplia technology also offers an optimized mobile experience on the iPad with improved graphing tool precision and better grading functionality for your and your students' convenience.
- ADAPTIVE TEST PREP PREPARES YOUR STUDENTS FOR IMPORTANT TESTS. This effective, digital test preparation tool within MindTap provides students with more than 3,900 test bank-style questions. More than half of these questions offer corresponding Quick Coach videos, designed to support your students at their most teachable moments, particularly when they are confused or unsure about the answer to a question. This proven resource is highly effective in preparing students for high-stakes tests and is shown to positively impact cumulative course results.
- ALL-NEW “ASK THE EXPERTS” BOXES FEATURE OPINIONS FROM THE WORLD’S MOST PROMINENT ECONOMISTS. This timely learning feature highlights the IGM Economics Experts Panel, which surveys several dozens of the world’s most prominent economists. Every few weeks these experts review a proposition and respond whether they agree with it, disagree with it, or are uncertain. The insights from this feature demonstrate to your students situations when economists are united, when they are divided, and when they simply don’t know what to think.
- NEW VIDEO LECTURE SERIES LESSONS WITH QUICK QUIZZES IN MINDTAP REFLECTS THE UNIQUE MANKIW APPROACH. This new assignable video series supports students both as they prepare for class and as they prepare for exams. The engaging videos offer an alternative to reading the text and are appropriately divided into manageable segments that allow students to focus only on concepts they find most challenging. Fresh examples are seamlessly aligned to the approach and the student-oriented language of Mankiw's printed book. Brief quizzes evaluate understanding as students progress through the videos.
- DIGITAL IMPLEMENTATION GUIDE (DIG) RESOURCE SUPPORTS TODAY'S TEACHING ECONOMISTS. This helpful new resource was developed to help you bring more engagement to the classroom with innovative teaching tools that enhance the classroom experience. You’ll find quick guides to commonly used features in MindTap that will save you time. In addition, a robust chapter overview highlights key digital features and details how and when it’s best to use them in your course.
Table of Contents
Part I: INTRODUCTION.
1. Ten Principles of Economics.
2. Thinking Like an Economist.
3. Interdependence and the Gains from Trade.
Part II: HOW MARKETS WORK.
4. The Market Forces of Supply and Demand.
5. Elasticity and Its Application.
6. Supply, Demand, and Government Policies.
Part III: MARKETS AND WELFARE.
7. Consumers, Producers, and the Efficiency of Markets.
8. Application: The Costs of Taxation.
9. Application: International Trade.
Part IV: THE ECONOMICS OF THE PUBLIC SECTOR.
11. Public Goods and Common Resources.
Part V: Firm Behavior and the Organization of Industry.
12. The Costs of Production.
13. Firms in Competitive Markets.
Part VI: THE DATA OF MACROECONOMICS.
15. Measuring a Nation’s Income.
16. Measuring the Cost of Living.
Part VII: THE REAL ECONOMY IN THE LONG RUN.
17. Production and Growth.
18. Saving, Investment, and the Financial System.
19. The Basic Tools of Finance.
20. Unemployment and Its Natural Rate.
Part VIII: MONEY AND PRICES IN THE LONG RUN.
21. The Monetary System.
22. Money Growth and Inflation.
Part IX: SHORT-RUN ECONOMIC FLUCTUATIONS.
23. Aggregate Demand and Aggregate Supply.
24. The Influence of Monetary and Fiscal Policy on Aggregate Demand.